How much do you really know about today’s executive job search?
Do you know which comes first – resume writing, personal branding or targeting?
It’s a given that job-hunting these days is a complicated process . . . more so than even a few years ago:
- The Internet and social media (especially LinkedIn) now play important roles.
- Personal branding is no longer optional.
- Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS) have gotten in the way of employers finding best-fit candidates.
- You need to build a diverse, vibrant online presence that reinforces your personal brand and provides social proof, or risk being invisible to executive recruiters and hiring decision makers.
- Best-fit jobs for you – especially if you’re at the senior or c-suite level – may be waiting for you to uncover them in the “hidden” job market.
- Networking your way into jobs to circumvent Human Resources and connect directly with hiring decision makers is more important than ever.
Is it even possible to simplify job search, given all the components you need to master for success?
Yes, it’s an involved process and it takes time to land a great-fit job, but you can make the experience more palatable and move it along faster, if you get organized and understand the big picture before diving in.
Edge out your competitors by taking the time initially to do the back-end work to prepare for job search and then follow through with all the necessary steps.
Embrace the linear path successful job search follows, instead of neglecting some steps and trying to skip ahead:
- Pare down all the possible career directions you could take, and zero in as much as possible on one clear focus.
- Based on that career focus, research and target several companies that will be a mutual good fit for each other’s needs.
- Identify their pressing needs and create value around how you can help them meet these needs.
- Craft a compelling personal brand story in online and off-line content that will support the value you offer your target companies, and help you land interviews.
- Communicate your unique value when networking and interviewing, to outdistance your job-seeking competitors and get the job offers you deserve.
More About Executive Job Search:
How Do I Find a Job in the “Hidden” Job Market?
10 Best Ways to Build Your Personal Brand Online
Does Your Executive Resume Position You as the Best Hiring Choice?
How to Write An Irresistible C-level Executive Resume in 10 Steps
Executive Job Search: Research Your Target Employers
Does LinkedIn Make the Executive Resume Obsolete?
The New 10-Step Executive Personal Branding Worksheet
How to Network Your Way Into a Great-Fit Executive Job
How to Connect on LinkedIn with People You Don’t Know . . . and Get Action